9 Oct 2014

Changing your name

If you've changed your name since you last lodged a tax return this is for you.

If your name has changed since you last lodged, you now need to contact the Australian Taxation Office to update your details before lodging your next return. 

You can change you name:

  • Online - using your myGov account
  • By phone - Call 13 28 61 between 8:00am and 6:00pm, Monday to Friday
  • Or we can contact them on your behalf.

If you ask us to change update your details with the ATO we will need copies of some of the following documentation. 

  • Australian birth certificate (full certificate, not an extract)
  • Australian marriage certificate (except QLD marriage certificates)
  • Australian change of name certificate
  • Australian drivers licence or learners permit
  • Australian Medicare card
  • Australian passport
  • Australian visa (using information from your overseas passport)
  • Australian citizenship certificate.